Maine Coon kittens are your pleasure!
Small children are always adorable. A cat’s children – not an exception, especially if it is Maine Coon kitten. Unlike many other species, Maine Coon kittens almost always have a harmonious symmetrical coloring, a silky fur coat, and they are born obviously larger than their relatives.
Maine Coon are born of an wide range of colours. The weight of the newborn baby is from 120 to 170 grams, while the usual kittens weigh about 100 grams. In this case, the nature of Maine Coon – both small and adult is very playful and friendly.
So, if you were lucky enough to observe the kitten from the first hours of life, then you need to know how to care?
Maine Coon kittens: care with pleasure!
From the first days of life the mother-cat, and in cattery, also cat-father, actively participate in the adaptation of the baby to the surrounding world. In addition to feeding and licking, the mother-cat helps children learn space, instills basic hunting skills, and teaches hygiene. Therefore, it is not recommended that small Maine Coons be torn off early from their mother. You have a chance for 3 months to get a fully adapted kitten.
The active human participation in life of a growing member of the felines family begins from 3 weeks after birth, when you need to begin to accustom the kitten to “adult” food.
What to feed Maine Coon in early childhood?
In the Maine Coon breed, kittens quickly adapt to a new range of food. But there is a certain sequence of supplementary foods.
How to start feeding Maine Coon kittens?
- 🐱 In the first supplementary feed, give beef, freeze at least 5 days, and then defrosted and boiled. Frost reduces the probability of infection, and boiled meat is better absorbed by the growing body. Before feeding, divide the meat into pea size pieces.
- 🐱 3 days after add in the diet nonfat cottage cheese. It is desirable that it was crumbly, not crumpling, easily chewed, taking into account limited chewing ability of the kitten.
- 🐱 In a week you should give an egg yolk, better - a yolk quail egg. It is a useful concentrate of minerals, vitamins and a wonderful source of shiny hair! Subsequently, give 2 times a week.
- 🐱 Starting at the age of one month, you can cook porridges on milk.
- 🐱 From two months, the diet is supplemented with cream, cooked vegetables, ocean fish (if possible), supplementary feeding, greens, and natural oil.
- 🐱 From the age of four months animal is supplemented with variety meat - liver, hearts, stomachs, and serum.
- 🐱 Beginning from the first month, you can give kitten dry food, diluting it with water, then with milk. After 4 months Maine Coon kittens can eat dry food without pre-soaking.
Important: cat preserves cannot be given to small kittens! Such food can be offered to animals that have reached at least 8 months.
In order to avoid allergies, vomiting and disorders, it is desirable to feed the mother cat and the Maine Coon kittens with the same food. Do not give: raw meat, sweets, sour cream, pork, lamb and even bones. After two months, you can cook porridge on the water, not on milk.
With proper feeding, the Maine Coon kittens weigh at least one and a half kilograms by the age of 3 months. The minimum weight is calculated by the formula: one month per half kilogram. This is an average calculation as for male and female, kittens up to 6-8 months.
How to teach the Maine Coon kittens to the toilet?
Another actual worry for the cat owners is the instruction of a small resident to the right walk to the toilet. The technique is approximately the same for kittens of any breeds.
- 🐾 You need to equip the "cat toilet" where you would like to see it. And at the first signs of kittens anxiety - meow, search for a secluded place - put them in a tray. You can simulate the movements of a mother-cat, raking the filler with your finger - so the Maine Coon kittens will soon realize why he is there.
- 🐾 It is desirable that the tray was not far from the place where kittens usually walk - otherwise for objective reasons the small creature simply will not have time to reach the toilet, even if it remembers where it is.
- 🐾 If the kitten past the tray - wipe the puddle with a napkin and take it to the tray. Then next time kitten will find the right direction by smell.
- 🐾 Never yell at, and certainly not beat the kittens, if they did not immediately master the "toilet" wisdom. Cats association series differs from the human, and, after punishing, they are hardly understand what it was related to. The maximum, which you can do - to hiss at the kitten at once, as he made a puddle, imitating the discontent of the mother-cat.
What if the Maine Coon "marks" the territory?
The standard preventive measure is castration. However, it is possible to castrate a cat in 3-7 months, but to begin to mark the territory, especially near the tray, they start much earlier. In addition, Maine Coon kittens of the “breed” and “show” class are left for breeding, so castration here is not an option.
It is exist, scents-scares. The most effective is lemon and other citrus fruits. You can use improvised means – vinegar, manganese, black pepper, onion, garlic.
If the marked area is limited to the space around the tray – you can simply lay a section of the floor with paper, throw it out every time kitten marked it. Then it will be possible to deceive the instinct of a growing organism. Note that using of citrus and other sharp odors near the tray cannot be, because it will scare the kitten out of using the toilet for the purpose.
Here, in general, all you need to know if you want to buy a Maine Coon kitten. You want to have a healthy, cheerful and well-bred kitten Maine Coon: the price of the matter is your patience!